Friday, January 16, 2009

Aconcagua Mañana



I am currently in Los Penitentes (see pic), where I packed all my bags with the mule carriers, and will head out tomorrow for the trail head. With all my gear I decided to take a private vehicle here rather than the bus, which was a bit more pricey, but worth it after seeing how slow they go when we passed several of them (could have also been because I was riding with Argentine version of Dale Earnheart in a Honda as we made the expected 3 hour trip in an hour and a half). Transportation is always an adventure in other places. The landsape is much similair to the desert in parts of Arizona with Ginormous Alpine peaks coming out of the valleys. There isn´t a tree one that grows here and it´s hot and dry. It will take me two days to get to base camp where my gear will be taken to by the mule. The excitement of actually climbing has finally hit me and I´m finished with most of the little details that take up a lot of time and energy. I´m off to enjoy the last bit of luxury I´ll be having for a while with a meal and a nice bed. I´m guessing the expedition will take anywhere from 12 to 18 days depending on my health with the altitude, and the weather most importantly, which can have some brutal moments on Aconcagua as I understand. I will talk to you then.
Puenta del Inca natural stone bridge in pic above

4 comments:

  1. Climb on, number one son! We love your spirit! Good thing we hung you from the ceiling when you were little. Take care up there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your adventures! Stay sensible and safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Luck, thanks for keeping us informed. I think you should definately enjoy the wine tour when you get down, first for celebration in conquering the mountain and second for the experience. Traveling and wine could become a second traveling quest for you. Be safe.

    Greg Rod

    ReplyDelete