Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Westward bound

NO, I was not eaten by a shark on my surfing outing, for those that have been waiting in suspense. I do however have to wait to post any pictures of me surfing so I can copy and paste myself onto another picture of someone actually standing up on the board. Actually, it turned out to be better than I thought it would, and actually mangaged to ¨kind of¨ stand up on the board a few times. Last time I tried surfing in New Zealand I was using a long board. This time I tried a little shorter board and seemed to be able to control it better. That and my Aussie friends said you have to get a short board cause it just looks cooler in the pictures, and that´s what I´m all about. La Paloma has an east and a west beach, and they say if the surf isn´t good on one side you just move to the other side, so.....there´s always surf. Most my time spent at La Paloma was spent on the beach either attempting to surf, riding bikes, running, or actually just relaxing. We all rented bikes and must have put about 30 miles on one day. We added a few more Australians to the gang when a friend of mine from Punta del Este named Josh, and two lady friends that Damien and Gerard met in Buenos Aires met up with us. Could be the title of a movie or something ¨5 Aussies and a Yank¨. There were times I had a bit of trouble completely understanding the aussie slang and quick speech. There was a parade that came though town while we were there that was kind of a pre-Carnival celebration, that included a bunch of bands and samba dancers. One night we went out to a night club, that was a huge compound on the beach made up of palm trees like a giant fort, or something you´d see on Pirates of the Caribbean, and doesn´t even open the doors and get going until 3 am. The hours kept here are crazy, but I´m growing quite a liking to a big nap in the afternoon and dinner about 10 or 11 o´clock. There are 4 food groups here: steak, pasta, cheese, and ice cream. No shortage of saturated fats for sure, but my body is enjoying the hardiness of the food in my attempt to put some weight back on. After La Paloma, we all kind of went separate ways, as Josh and Gerard headed up the coast on wildlife day tour, Damien was off to Iguazu Falls with the girls in Argentina, and I was headed west. My somewhat semi-final destination will be Chile, with the exception of going back to Mendoza to fly home. The trip from La Paloma to Santiago, Chile is 33 hours by bus (thank god for ipods and books), so I´m breaking it up into a 3 day jaunt, because well I´m not in a hurry, and I didn´t think my ¨arse¨could handle such a trip. Yesterday, I left from La Paloma, spent a day in Montevideo, the capital of Uruguay (pic above), and then caught a night bus to Cordoba, which is in the middle of Argentina (pic below). I´m going to spend the rest of today and tomorrow here in Cordoba, then catch another night bus into Chile. The night buses are the way to go here. Most of the seating options either fully recline like a bed or at least partially recline, and have a leg rest that pops down from the seat in front of you. They usually serve dinner and breakfast as well. This way I´m not wasting a nice day crammed up in a bus traveling, and you sleep most of the way there so you save the cost of a nights accomodation (I know I´m cheap, but think about it, you have to get there one way or another). Buses are everywhere in South America, and by far the easiest means of transportation. Anyway, Cordoba is a university city, hosting several of the country´s different universities. It´s also well know for it´s music talent so I´ll be checking out some local venues.

1 comment:

  1. I know you are having a good time, BUT IT IS TIME TO GET BACK TO WORK QUEESBAG!!!

    Lee

    ReplyDelete